BrowserStack for Enterprise
BrowserStack is a cloud based website and mobile app testing product. It started out with a predominantly self-service SaaS model which led to exponential organic growth, particularly among freelance developers. The product also gained popularity among enterprises, but missing features and services prevented adoption at scale. To address this problem, and thus increase retention and revenue per account, my team built BrowserStack’s enterprise edition - BrowserStack for Enterprise.
We ran extensive customers studies in the form of user interviews, surveys, and experiments on customers across software & technology, finance, retail, education, government and more. 30 companies including Twitter, Geico, BBC, Xerox and Tableau participated in the research. The following problems emerged:
Before investing in a sophisticated dashboard we ran two experiments to:
- Validate metrics we had chosen for the report
- Quantify risk of cancellations and downgrades
We created 30-day reports and sent them via email to 4000 paying groups. We split these groups by team size into two cohorts:
- Freelancers or single license accounts
- Multi-account licenses
We saw 15% churn in the freelancer cohort and 4.79% churn in the multi-license cohort.
In a follow up survey (with 1800 participants) 68% found the report very helpful, the remaining wanted more granularity in terms of usage and timeframes. Based on the feedback we finalized the following metrics matrix for the analytics dashboard:
The Usage Analytics Dashboard
Coverage, Testing frequency and Parallel test utilization for Automated Testing:
Over an 8 week period, Net MRR impact was a 6.9% increase in MRR. Below is the split of upgrades, downgrades and cancellations, for both products, based on testing frequency:
25% of overall lost deals were lost because we did not offer SSO. We launched SSO Beta - where we had one customer for each identity provider. After 4 successful integrations and 2 weeks of close monitoring, the 4 customers were ready to pay to continue using Single sign-on. In the first month after launch, the Sales team was able to close 3 deals, each more than $100k.
Product plans and pricing
Our key takeaway was that Enterprise software is purchased only after it passes all checks laid down by various departments - Engineering, IT, Legal and Finance. To make the product, we also wanted to make sure the packaging met all requirements from each department. In fact, as will follow in the solution - the features and services were grouped by department to make it easier for each persona to self select and evaluate with ease. We also identified a set of add-ons:
- Data centre location allows an enterprise to specify from which singular data center it runs its tests.
- Unlimited data retention gives enterprises the option to retain their automate logs.
- Priority support is an add-on that comes with senior support resources and SLAs for business critical applications.
- Custom MSAs
- Bespoke Training is an add-on that offers training modules to end-users such as QAs and test engineers to help them be more successful with manual and automation testing.
- TAM is a designated BrowserStack expert who can provide technical guidance and ongoing support to maximize the returns on your BrowserStack investment.
We designed Enterprise plans for annual or multi-year terms only and a minimum of 10 users (Live, Automate) and 5 parallel tests (Automate Pro). We followed a Mixed bundling approach as it offered much needed flexibility to Enterprises with very diverse needs.
- Qualified Leads increased by 200%
- Win-rate up by 12%
- 9% of the total MRR comes from the Enterprise Product
- Improve conversion: Increase MRR contribution of Enterprise product from 9% to 25% by 2018. Offer enterprise free trial self-service. Reduce dependence on Sales, make this possible as self service.
- Experiment with pricing to see how customers view bundling and design bundling accordingly.
- Encourage outcome-oriented thinking. examples: “testing suite” or “performance suite”, instead of individual products/features.
- Sales enablement